Stellenbezeichnung: Scientist in the field of fiber drawing technology for active fluoride fibers
Arbeitsort / Location: Ettlingen, Baden-Württemberg
Job Beschreibung: You are thrilled by both conceptual questions and experimental work in the laboratory as well as the optimization and further development of components for high-power fiber lasers and would you like to help advance the state of the art in fiber lasers? You are a team player, yet willing to meet some tough challenges on your own? You wish to obtain a doctor degree or are interested in post-doc studies? Moreover, you do not mind being involved in projects with defence-related background?
If this is the case, apply with Fraunhofer IOSB and get the opportunity to become a sought-after expert in fiber drawing technology of active fluoride fibers. The position forms part of the Laser Technology (LAS) department, which develops and evaluates specific photonic materials and components, associated laser sources and nonlinear converters, and optimizes laser systems in the NIR, SWIR, MWIR and LWIR range for various fields of applications. Starting next year, our department will also be located in Oberkochen, where a new field site for our research group will be established.
What you will do
- You will develop, investigate and optimize processes for the realization of high-power laser fibers from bulk glasses in the fluoride material system in the spectral range
1.5 µm (erbium, thulium and holmium doping, etc.) * You will realize, investigate and optimize fiber draw techniques for multi-clad fibers, polarization-maintaining fibers and novel fiber geometries and optimize fiber coatings.
- You will contribute to the scientific investigation of fiber lasers to evaluate different fiber laser architectures in a broad team of experts in the field of photonic components, laser sources and nonlinear converters.
- You will work independently on projects in the field of fiber drawing research and write reports and publications in English, or if possible, German language.
What you bring to the table
- Degree (diploma/master) in physics, chemistry, electrical engineering or equivalent disciplines
- Knowledge and relevant professional experience in realization of fiber draw processes (draw tower and drawing furnace control, polymer coating) and related equipment (draw tower, coating techniques, gas supply systems, etc.)
- Knowledge and relevant professional experience in fiber preform manufacturing and basic knowledge in fiber lasers would be of advantage.
What you can expect
- Opportunity to work in diverse, exciting projects at the interface between research and application, present and future
- Free space for personal scientific development and the opportunity to push forward issues and projects on your own initiative
- Excellent, state-of-the-art technical equipment with partially not commercially available equipment
- A motivated team ensuring mutual inspiration owing to the interdisciplinary composition
- A wide range of further training
- Family-friendly conditions (flexible working hours, home-office regulations in line with the requirements of the position, etc.)
Our institute’s mission is to open up various development paths, providing individual career opportunities and routes both in business and science. On the one hand, you will benefit from the typical Fraunhofer profile combining basic research and the practical deployment of innovative technologies in specific application domains. On the other hand, you will benefit from Fraunhofer IOSB’s specifically large variety of skills, covering the entire chain of optronics and sensor data evaluation and ranging to the engineering of secure and user-adequate systems.
The weekly working time is 39 hours. This position is also available on a part-time basis. We value and promote the diversity of our employees‘ skills and therefore welcome all applications – regardless of age, gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion, ideology, disability, sexual orientation and identity. Severely disabled persons are given preference in the event of equal suitability. Appointment, remuneration and social security benefits based on the public-sector collective wage agreement (TVöD). Additionally Fraunhofer may grant performance-based variable remuneration components.
With its focus on developing key technologies that are vital for the future and enabling the commercial utilization of this work by business and industry, Fraunhofer plays a central role in the innovation process. As a pioneer and catalyst for groundbreaking developments and scientific excellence, Fraunhofer helps shape society now and in the future.
Interested? Apply online now. We look forward to getting to know you!
Dr. Christelle Kieleck
Telefon: +49 7243 992-310
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. habil. Marc Eichhorn
Direktor und Bereichsleiter Verteidigung
Telefon: +49 7243 992-131
Fraunhofer Institute of Optronics, System Technologies and Image Exploitation IOSB